Well it took me a while to find a tinkerbell that was 8 bit.. but than it didn't look right so I had to clean it up, adjust the colour, run around the house trying to find close enough shades in my yarn and actually crochet the squares..
Well I started around September 2011.. had to stop several times but I kept pushing myself [though from this I learned I'm like my mother and have an extra piece of bone in my right wrist..and apparently doing repetative motions like crocheting, irritates it.. so it gets very very painful but I kept going so.. lol].
I finished around the first week of November 2011. I did more than the needed squares 'just in case' because halfway thru the purple background squares I ran out of the yarn! So I had to find other purple yarns and hope for the best..
Well I put the project away until the second week of jan 2012 and my nieces birthday was coming up in march so I wanted it done for than.. So I pulled everything out again and counted all my colours...
Than I popped onto my trusty stitching program and spent about 6 hours straight trying to come up with an idea...
Than it dawned on me that since I had extra white.. I could maybe make it look like Tink is whipping by with pixie dust trailing behind her.
Than the corner pieces fell into place [I had just enough squares! the extra squares i had were all off shaped and basically unusable].
I sewed each row than all the rows together.. everything took until 9 days after my nieces 5th birthday [which was march 15] to get done. Than I put it away until about a week ago after I finished testing a pattern for a craftster and making my dad's father's day gift.. I got in 'that mood' and decided to drop the backing idea and just make a border.. it probably would have taken maybe 8 hours in 1 day but I went to my sisters house a few times thru the week and didn't get home til late so i couldn't do it.. but I finished last night after our yard sale! lmao.
So The pixelness is 26w by 29h [754 squares].. each square was done with a 4mm hook, worsted weight yarn, and 2 rounds of the granny square. And are all roughly 2 1/2 inches big.
Tink's been washed gently and tumble dried delicately
My original plan was to sew on a purple fleece backing but the blanket turned out to be larger than expected so I crocheted a border; 4 rounds, just of 2 inches wide on all sides.
The blanket now measures just over 59 inches wide by just over 61 inches high.
It'll most likely be a christmas gift this year since I STILL have to start and finish my nephews blanket which will have almost 1000 squares [took a screenshot from super mario bros 3 so..lol].
Here's the blanket [finally, right? ]
[I apologize for the giant sock pile in the corner of the photo my parents can never find matching socks in their room, lol.
Had to take the photo on their king size bed as my bed is a twin and we have evil dogs that will jump and frolick if I put the blanket on the living room floor to take a picture].
Oh god, ain't that the truth!
My nephews birthday is august 25 and i've only slipstitched 5 rows [out of 31..horizontally.. I still have to sew them vertically and add a fucking border!]. It's just so damn ackward and difficult to slipstitch 2 rows together.. it puts a strain on your hands. And I get headaches from staring at the squares for so long so i have to stop [then i play skyrim..like thats any better, lol].
But it's totally worth it. I just have to remind my nephew not to drag the blanket everywhere and to keep his door shut so the cat doesn't claw at it. I won't be able to put a backing of fabric on it because it's so damn big and I don't have the money or time so yeaaaaaaaah.
I always thought this would only take 5 months each blanket... HA... But I did learn something about sewing the granny squares together... FUCK SEWING NEEDLES AND WHIPSTITCHING! ONLY SLIPSTITCH TOGETHER!!!
So much simpler and faster once I realized once you hit your corner to grab the next to squares, put them back to back and slipstitch across as before..and do the same vertically and youcan't really tell where the corner is... Oh and always buy extra yarn... for my mario there's ALOT of skyblue.. well I bought this big ass GIANT ball of skyblue yarn from bernat.. I think.... Well I ran out with maybe 150-200 squares left.. I scrambled to find something that matched but NOTHING came even close to this shade of blue.. it really was SKYBLUE..nice pale but the only thing that kinda came close was a shade darker and going in the royal blue direction.. I can tell the difference but no one else can.. or so they claim.. so I'm going to place those at the top so it looks more like the pixeled background of an old mario game from the snes world...i hope.. hm...
On the yarn note.... seriously.. extra extra extra extra yarn not just to make sure you got enough for the squares and leaving tails to weave in.. but for joining together!
I have rubber maids, metal boxes, cardboard boxes full and a sisterinlaw that co-owns a yarn shop and I cannot find the EXACT match of one shade of yarn I used.. I can get almost the shade but its still off...so ya....
Really take the yarn company's suggestion to heart...ALWAYS BUY ENOUGH YARN FOR THE PROJECT...... and then some
Lots of people want to make them but ya.. very time consuming....very very very.. at least I know the granny sqaure pattern i used [and modified] but heart now, lol.